Friday, June 13, 2014

Travel. Adventure. Back to the Sea.

It's amazing how much travel can affect your life. This is the longest amount of time that I've spent on land since setting foot on the F/V Wizard in September of 2012, and being so far from the ocean has let me see a lot of things in perspective. 
I certainly have a charmed life, but it is a lot of work. And it fascinates even me. Nine minutes ago I boarded a train in London on my way to Southampton and as I write I'm zipping through South London.... I haven't been on a proper train in months. Yesterday was a dream, landing in London, catching the tube to my hostel and running straight out again to meet with a friend from SCAD. 
As we wandered from the London Eye across the Thames to see Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and then stroll through Saint James Park to Buckingham Palace, we discussed how Europe has become so... Familiar. Though I haven't been here in almost four years, the endless travel in my life has made things like taking the Tube and catching a train significantly less daunting. I suppose I can thank the subway in New York for that.... Which I've managed to navigate in a less than functioning state (the flu and some serious pain killers) and I've survived it every time. 
So, as I speed backwards toward Southampton, I feel like I have plenty to reflect upon, as well as be nervous for. I absolutely can not wait to be back on a ship, there is no doubt in that. The experience is going to be so insanely different than what I'm used to though.. Shooting what I want to shoot, getting to actually document and write... It's not quite portraits and sales. And while I'm incredibly nervous, the excitement is something I almost can't contain. Ten countries in 66 days. Of course, I've seen pictures of these places, but I know it will be nothing in comparison, specifically with the adventures I'm going to have,.. And be PAID for. There are a lot of people who pay a lot of money for what I do... And it sometimes shocks me that more people don't attempt to work for it like I do. I certainly understand the somewhat lack of work ethics in Americans (I'm talking about 75 hour weeks for minimal pay... But the benefit is beaches, adventures and new countries on the regular) but I feel that the younger generation of Americans (my own age and younger) are starting to have this insatiable desire to travel. And it should not be pushed aside. It should be fed, watered and pushed along to fruition. 
Travel is so important. It has become the majority of my life, living out of a suitcase and waking up in new places every day. It's hundreds of maps torn out of guidebooks and being thankful for my compass on my iPhone, as well as just getting lost and hoping you can find your way back. It's trains, planes, busses, rental cars, plenty of u-turns, a really good pair of headphones and accompanying playlists, money conversions, a wallet full of change I can't spend at home and the never ending search for a decent wifi connection. 
So, here I am, cuddled up with my elephant pillow pet (little kids keep telling me the like it. I'm such a grown up), sans wifi on a train to a city I've only known about for 8 months to start a job that terrifies me because I care so much how it will effect me and hope that my work can compare to those who have preceded me. 
Here's to adventure, to pictures, to life changing experiences. 



No comments:

Post a Comment