Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The End.

The last nine weeks of my life have passed so fast that it all just feels like a blink. A warm, fuzzy, good feeling but stressful blink.
Hmmmm, how to sum up the last few weeks of Lacoste.
Finals were truly the hardest that I've ever had at SCAD due to the shorter quarter, the weather, the atmosphere of being in France, and of course because of the mountains of work that I had to accomplish. Vernissage was stressful as well, but really successful. The show itself looked absolutely wonderful, and Becks had her senior show set up, which was absolutely beautiful. We made almost 3,000 euros, though I didn't sell anything. Which is really okay, because I was kind of attached to all of the stuff that I had for sale. On top of the show going on, everyone's parents were in town to visit and see everything, and Bridget's mom Susan came and hang out with us :)
When the actual show was over we had the Bon Voyage dinner, which I expected to be really sad, but everyone was in such a good mood and really just happy to be spending time with each other. We really did have a drama free group for the most part, and it was just so nice to be surrounded by my friends and their families when around 7 weeks ago most of these people were still complete strangers to me.
Everyone who has been to Lacoste told me over and over again that it would change my life, and I knew that to some extent living in a foreign country for two months would of course change my life in some way. But the thing that changes your life is the people... That's what I'm going to miss the most about Lacoste. Yes, my classes were wonderful, and I did learn a LOT but this wasn't my strongest quarter in any of my classes. And yes, the landscape was amazing, but as slightly snobby as it might sound, I grew up with a stunning (but very different) view of my own. As gorgeous as South France is, the landscape looks more like California than anything else I've found in the states, and it made me homesick as well as making me want to road trip through California's wine country.
But. The people.
Every single person I met there influenced me in some way. Obviously there are the more prominent people, like Bridget, Breece and Becks, but everyone has opened my eyes in some way. It's hard to put a finger on it, but that's certainly the thing that has changed the most... that and the fact that in less than 2 months these people became my family and took in the flaws of living with me, seeing me cry, seeing me ridiculously silly and drunk, sharing a bed and cuddling, and dealing with my crazy ideas.... and they appreciate it all as just a part of me. They're the most honest relationships I've made in such a short amount of time. And I am going to miss every single part of that.
And of course living in a medieval French village.... that too.
But for now, that is all. I fly out tomorrow morning, and tonight I'm at a hotel in the city of lights just counting the hours until I get home.

It's like it was all a really good dream.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing Carly. I have enjoyed your stay with you. It will be good to see you soon. Sue

    ReplyDelete