Thursday, April 28, 2011

There's Something In The Water

7. A picture of your most treasured item.
Another hard one, yet easy at the same time. I don't really have many material things that I treasure (only my laptop, iPhone and hard drives, but I kinda just count those as essential for my life, not necessarily treasured items. Though they really do contain all the pictures I've ever taken. Hmm. Food for thought).
Isn't he just too cute?
And I can't consider Earnest an item. He's more of... cat-person. love bundle. wheezing bed hogger. but oh so cute and I love him so very much.



So. I think that my most treasured item would have to be my Tahoe necklace. Which may seem silly to some people. Because, yes, it is just a necklace. But almost all the people that I grew up with, my mother, my cousin, most of my friends... we all have one. Tahoe isn't just a place, it's kind of a feeling. And Tahoe people are weird. We know. There's something in the water.  Most people aren't in touch with the majority of their friends from high school, most people didn't grow up doing 5 sports and spending summer days next to one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. One can forget and take for granted the Tahoe way of life... but it always loops back around. I wouldn't be the person I am without most of the people at the lake, in both a positive and negative way. There are so many people that pushed me to be so much better by not doing anything themselves, by wanting to live "the high life" in the Sierras. I mean, don't get me wrong. I know it's amazing. And it's an amazing place to raise children and have a family, but there are so many people that are still just THERE. And I have had my doubts in myself because I'm going back. But I'm going back for a few month vacation before I get to start "real life" with a job and everything. I don't plan on being there past December, January at the latest. Next year will find me with a new job, a new city, maybe a new boyfriend or girlfriend. Who knows. But my years of living next to the dazzling blue lake are over. Until I retire and take my parent's house.
Tahoe, front and center. And my hair at the longest it's ever been.
But back to my necklace. It reminds me of this. Every. Day. Because I never take it off, I'm constantly reassured by the fact that it is there, it is my past, that I look at every day and urge myself to be better. Because I don't want to just be that small town girl, the one that went to art school and didn't go anywhere after that. I'm better than that. Because there's something in the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment